Thursday, August 6, 2009

Writing Tools - Story Elements Worksheet

Writing is a very personal thing, and each writers process should be whatever they are most comfortable with. That said, sometimes it doesn't move the way you want it to. Problems with pace and momentum can be hard obstacles to overcome. After having read every piece of advice I can get my hands on, from magazines & blogs to thick heavy books, I have put together this worksheet to help my work maintain the velocity I’m looking for. Hope it helps yours!

Story Elements Worksheet

State the plot as a question:

Come up with reasons the answer could be no:

Use these reasons as trials and tribulations for the protagonist:

Give the protagonist concrete qualities, both good and bad:

Give the protagonist a good reason to keep trying, despite setbacks:

Give the antagonist a good reason to do what they are doing:

Keep making things worse and arranging obstacles for your protagonist:

Build in a deadline to keep things moving:

Show no mercy. The more upsetting things get, the more reason to try to find out if things turn out ok:

Include facts to tie the story to the real world and to teach:

Make the setting a part of the story, almost a character:

What are the internal conflicts of each character:

What is their back story & is it important:

What do they want:

What are their objectives:

What are they afraid of:

What do they love:

What do they see, smell, taste, hear, feel:

Who are their supporting cast:

Is the antagonist interesting:

Are they believable:

Are they frightening:

Do they have motivation & a belief in what they are doing:

What is the outcome:

Does the story have a theme & if so, what is it:

6 comments:

  1. This doesn't pertain to my writing at all, but I read it anyhow because I can't stop my eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now that I read my comment it looks wrong. It looks mean.

    LOL

    You will know what I mean because you have read my stuff, but a stranger might read this and wonder what my problem is.

    It's because I don't write fiction, I'd be horrible at it. ADHD and storylines that make sense are like oil and water.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Someone linked to this list the other day and I thought you might like it (if you haven't seen it already): The (Nearly) Ultimate Resource: 176 tips for writers

    ReplyDelete
  4. (eta: I should say eve11 is me, Rhiannon, sorry)

    ReplyDelete